Director of Development & Strategic Partnerships
The Birthday Party Project
About The Birthday Party Project
This year alone, 2.5 million children experiencing homelessness might miss out on a birthday celebration. We’ve made it our mission to change that. At The Birthday Party Project, we believe every child deserves to feel special - especially on their birthday.
Our mission is to acknowledge the life, dreams, and birthday wishes of children who wouldn’t otherwise be celebrated. With a little bit of magic, and a whole lot of sprinkles, we want all kids to know one thing: they are worth celebrating.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced fundraising leader to drive The Birthday Party Project’s development strategies and donor engagement efforts. You will play a pivotal role in advancing our mission by designing, refining, and executing comprehensive fundraising strategies, plus building and nurturing relationships with donors.
Your expertise will contribute to the growth and sustainability of our organization, which brings JOY to children experiencing homelessness through the MAGIC of a birthday celebration. Successful candidates will demonstrate the spirit of The Birthday Party Project’s commitment to JOY changing lives.
This is an entrepreneurial position. To succeed, the candidate must be a driven self-starter who takes initiative to establish a long-term, vibrant, and engaged community of supporters, partners, and donors.
Fundraising Strategy and Implementation:
- Develop and implement a fundraising plan aligned with the organization's goals and mission.
- Identify new fundraising opportunities and innovative approaches to diversify revenue streams.
- Set ambitious fundraising targets and be accountable to progress and goal attainment.
- Identify and manage new and existing opportunities for TBPP to partner with aligned companies, brands and foundations
- Create strategy to drive revenue generating opportunities to support TBPP mission
Donor Engagement and Cultivation:
- Build and maintain strong relationships with individual donors, corporate partners, foundations, and other potential funding sources.
- Create personalized engagement strategies to nurture long-term relationships with donors and supporters.
Major Gifts and Grants:
- Lead efforts to secure major gifts and grants by identifying, cultivating, and soliciting donors at all giving levels.
- Develop compelling grant proposals to secure funding from private foundations and corporate partners.
- Work closely with program staff to ensure alignment between donor priorities and project outcomes.
Fundraising Events and Campaigns:
- Plan, organize, and oversee fundraising events, campaigns, and initiatives.
- Collaborate with the events team to ensure seamless execution of fundraising events and effective donor engagement.
- Utilize digital platforms and technology to enhance fundraising campaigns and engagement.
Team Leadership and Development:
- Manage and mentor the development team, providing guidance, support, and professional growth opportunities.
- Foster a collaborative and innovative environment within the development team.
- Promote a culture of data-driven decision-making and accountability.
Data Analysis and Reporting:
- Monitor and analyze fundraising performance metrics to track progress and identify areas for improvement.
- Generate regular reports to provide insights to the leadership team and board of directors.
- Utilize data to refine fundraising strategies and tactics.
- Collaborate with the board of directors to engage their support in fundraising efforts.
- Provide strategic guidance and support to the board's fundraising initiatives.
Donor Recognition and Stewardship:
- Develop and implement donor recognition strategies to acknowledge and appreciate donors' contributions.
- Ensure that donors receive regular updates on the impact of their contributions.
- Passion for the organization's mission and values.
- Exhibits warmth and charm that immediately puts others at ease.
- Excellent networking ability.
- Track record of successful fundraising in a nonprofit setting, with at least two years of experience in a senior development role.
- Strong understanding of fundraising principles, donor engagement strategies, and ethical practices.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience in managing and leading a team, with a focus on fostering collaboration and professional growth.
- Proficiency in using fundraising software and data management tools.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to develop and execute innovative fundraising strategies.
- Detail-oriented, organized, and capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Knowledge of the nonprofit sector, philanthropy landscape, and emerging trends.
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- High energy level, great sense of humor, and a willingness to participate in office dance parties (we take fun seriously!)
The Birthday Party Project headquarters and warehouse is located in Dallas, Texas. However, candidates will be accepted nationwide for this remote position, so long as there is a willingness to travel up to 30% of the time.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject line:“TBPP Candidate - [YOUR NAME]”
In your cover letter, please outline your relevant experience and explain why you are excited about the opportunity to contribute to The Birthday Party Project's mission.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply as soon as you’re ready. Please note that all applications will be held in strict confidence.