Director of Development
Sinapis is seeking a driven, experienced fundraising professional to lead our development and fundraising team. This is a unique opportunity for a talented individual to join a dynamic team united around a compelling mission. Sinapis has experienced strong growth over the past few years, and the right candidate will be stepping into a healthy organization primed for exponential impact.
The Director of Development is responsible for leading strategy, planning, organizing, and directing all of Sinapis’ fundraising including the annual fund, the major gifts program, planned giving, and special events. The Director of Development will be expected to lead the fundraising team who are focused on doubling our funding by 2025. As a member of the executive team, the Director will be involved in strategic planning, evaluation, and professional development initiatives. The Director will work closely with the CEO and the Board of Directors in all development and fundraising endeavors.
Reporting to: CEO
Location: Indianapolis, IN preferred, but remote candidates will be considered
Expected hours: Full-time
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience and industry averages
- Build and manage our development team to coordinate with the CEO and Board to successfully hit annual fundraising targets
- Direct the multichannel annual fund and including all prospecting, cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation
- Identify, research, and cultivate a range of funding sources, including individuals, foundations, corporate partnerships, and churches
- Collaborate with the Operations Team in managing grant and contract partnerships
- Grow the major gifts program including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors
- Strategize and manage prospecting and growing the pipeline, especially at the major gift level
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements
- Collaborate with the CEO and Global Administration Manager in building and adhering to budgets
- Build and manage our planned giving program
- Develop fundraising campaigns and potentially staff for fundraising within Kenya and Uganda
- Coordinate fundraising special events
- Oversee prospect research
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about Sinapis as needed
- Build, systematize, and oversee fundraising database and tracking systems
- Partner with the Global Director of Marketing in creation of all marketing collateral and channels in support of fundraising activities
- Maintain gift recognition programs
- Ensure compliance with donor intent and the associated utilization of donated funds
- Demonstrate the Sinapis core values of being relational, excellent, joyful, open-handed, innovative, Christ-centered, eager to serve, and a wise steward (REJOICES)
- Lean forward to meet other needs of your manager and team as anticipated or assigned
- You’re a Christian who wants to live out your God-given calling with a growing international organization
- A heart for our mission and a passion for alleviating poverty through private sector development
- Strong character and integrity
- Experience developing and managing fundraising systems for international NGOs
- An undergraduate degree in business, fundraising, finance, communications, or a related field
- Experience working with both private philanthropy from individuals and foundations
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence
- Solid understanding of business, entrepreneurship, and missions
- Ability to work independently in a small team environment
- Experience traveling or living in emerging market nations, particularly Africa
- Proficiency with Salesforce and Hubspot
- Experience with contract funding such as USAID, EU, and UN Agencies
- MBA or MA in a related field
Sinapis is a US 501(c)(3) faith-based international development nonprofit with a staff of approximately 30. Our mission is to make disciples and alleviate poverty through the power of entrepreneurship, and we have equipped over 8,000 entrepreneurs in emerging market nations to grow their businesses while making a social and spiritual impact in their community. We blend intensive faith-based business training with advisory services and access to capital. Our services are offered in Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Ghana, Liberia, Egypt, Brazil, Mongolia, Mexico, Mozambique, and Burundi.
What you can expect
- Deep, fulfilling impact. This is a mission impacting hundreds of thousands of lives economically, socially, and spiritually
- Charting a new course for poverty alleviation and advancing the gospel in hard places. Philanthropic funding plays an essential role in making it possible for us to equip entrepreneurs to grow companies that provide jobs for the poor and fuel the growth of the church from inside challenging places
- World-class economic development experience. We work at the frontier and the leading edge of private-sector development, and you’ll gain excellent experience in enterprise solutions to poverty
If you are interested in applying
Please submit your application on sinapis.com/careers. You must include a resume and a one-page cover letter that addresses the following:
- What motivated you to apply for this role?
- Sinapis is a Christian organization with a mission of making disciples and alleviating poverty through the power of entrepreneurship. Briefly describe what this mission means to you.
- In your own words, what makes a Director of Development highly effective?
- What else would you like to share with us as we consider your application? (You may discuss expected constraints, personal circumstances, professional aspirations, or anything else you feel would be relevant for the hiring committee to consider).
We are excited to read your cover letter. Please note that applications without the required materials will not be considered.