Administration and Finance Manager
Application deadline: November 29, 2023
The Administration and Finance Manager (AFM) will provide critical direct support to the Country Director (CD), in field leadership and program financial management. This includes financial and administrative support, long term planning and budgeting, full responsibility of office finances and accounting, ongoing reporting, and key relationship management with HOPE Benin church partners and field staff.
Location: Abomey-Calavi or Cotonou, Benin (preferred),
Reports to: Country Director
Position supervises: (Future hire) Administration & Finance Officer
- Promote and fulfill the mission and vision of HOPE International.
- Spiritual Integration and Christian Witness
- Support daily and weekly devotions among HOPE Benin staff in order to maintain a focus on the program’s Christ-centered mission and vision and to promote spiritual growth among staff, group members, and other associated parties.
- Ensure a personal healthy spiritual balance within family, work, and church life through the adoption of Biblical, personal, and spiritual disciplines.
- Contribute to discourse on Spiritual Integration strategies, plans, and activities in consultation with other HOPE Central Service Unit (CSU) staff as well as Partner staff.
- Relationship Building and Management
- Intentionally invest in building a strong, God-honoring relationship with the Country Director (CD) and other HOPE CSU and field staff.
- Assist the CD in developing and maintaining excellent, productive, and fruitful relationships with staff of HOPE Benin implementing church partners.
- Provide administrative and finance support to Church Partner ministry staff through high level oversight as well as hands-on logistics support.
- In all the above, ensure that relationships are marked by HOPE’s Christ-centered values, as defined in PASSION.
- Assist CD in the development of strategic and annual business plans.
- Prepare the annual budget and periodic forecasts in the Adaptive financial planning system.
- Ensure that HOPE Benin and Church Partner reporting deadlines are met for monthly financial reports.
- Help establish and implement a strategy for sourcing the appropriate resources (people, financial, etc.) needed to achieve the goals outlined within the program’s plan.
- In conjunction with the CD, directly support Church Partners to develop, approve, and track yearly and quarterly budgets and action plans for implementing the ministry in Benin.
- In conjunction with the CD, be responsible for HOPE Benin cash flow and ongoing financial planning.
- Program Performance
- Work with Church Partners to continually improve financial and administrative performance within the SG ministry.
- Financial Management, Reporting & Analysis
- Ensure full adherence by HOPE Benin to all HOPE financial policies and procedures and maintenance of a strong financial control environment.
- Prepare HOPE Benin daily office bookkeeping and accounting records.
- Managing petty cash, processing expense reports, and cash advances.
- Interface with HOPE CSU’s finance department on country financial reporting and related policy, processes, and documentation.
- Carry out all CSU Financial Reporting functions, including the timely submission of monthly financial reports and budget to actual analysis.
- With the CD’s approval, submit requests for funding to HOPE CSU in a timely manner with appropriate documentation.
- Monitor Church Partners monthly financial reporting, including the review and oversight of the use of HOPE granted funds by church partners.
- Monitor and strengthen financial controls and understanding between HOPE Benin and Church Partners, including training partners on HOPE’s Church Partner Financial Guidelines (CPFG) and conducting periodic financial compliance visits to the church partners.
- Provide analysis of reports and actionable recommendations to CD.
- Ensure the achievement of ministerial goals and objectives while remaining within the budget set out for HOPE Benin and its partners.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable governmental regulations for HOPE Benin.
- Meet regularly with CD to review reports and assess ministry progress on the basis of these reports and other available data.
- Administrative and Human Resources Management
- In conjunction with the CD, provide administrative and human resources management, including implementation of adequate HR policies, controls, contracts, and structures.
- Oversee the organization of key HOPE Benin documentation, financial documents, and monthly reports, including data backup and business continuity planning.
- Ensure prompt and accurate processing and payment of payroll and government taxes, as well as health insurance for HOPE CSU staff.
- Compliance/Risk Management
- Propose policy updates to the Finance, CPFG, and HR Manuals as weakness or inefficiencies are identified. Prepare full updates to the manuals annually.
- Ensure full implementation of, and compliance with, policies and procedures as outlined in SG Finance and HR manuals.
- Assist the HOPE Internal Audit team with annual financial audits, and annual program risk assessments. In conjunction with the CD, support development of the management response and implement agreed upon changes.
- As directed by the CD, implement HOPE risk mitigation systems to review, report and mitigate areas of risk within the organization, including but not limited to Risk Action Planning (RAP) and Risk Management Tool (RMT).
- Ensure that HOPE Benin assets are secure and maintained.
- SG Regional and Network Wide Support
- Contribute to various projects or initiatives as requested by HOPE CSU for SG development, mutual country support, or HOPE International progress as a whole.
- HOPE Representation
- Show hospitality to visitors to Benin from HOPE International or related parties who wish to visit the program and its operations. This includes supporting HOPE staff in the timely establishment and creation of appropriate itineraries, overseeing all necessary in-country logistics, and accurately representing HOPE International and its mission through communication with visitors. (This acknowledges that HOPE International will take all measures to ensure visits are planned in advance, with appropriate mutual communication and agreement.)
- Other Responsibilities
- Lead development and implementation of special projects as requested by the CD.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of HOPE International.
- Qualifying degree in finance, accounting, business administration, or similar field of study.
- A minimum of three years of experience in accounting or bookkeeping required.
- Understanding of, and demonstrated experience with financial accounting principles, processes and systems.
- Experience using NetSuite, a plus.
- Proficiency with Excel as a tool for data input, reporting, review, and analysis.
- Excellent cross-cultural communication.
- Excellent computer-based communication skills and working knowledge of basic IT.
- Fluent in spoken and written English, French, and Fon.
- Prior knowledge of, or willing to self-educate, on international economic development in general, and SG methodologies in particular.
- Willing to travel up to 20% of the time, both within Benin and occasionally to other HOPE countries.
- Assertive self-starter with the confidence to ask hard questions and hold management accountable.