Our Mission and Values
Goalbook’s mission is to empower teachers to transform instruction so that ALL students succeed. We partner with 700 districts across 47 states, working closely with district and school leaders to improve instructional practice. Goalbook was founded in 2011 by Daniel Jhin Yoo and Justin Su.
Our first core value is Relationships. We believe in the power of human connection and the importance of relationships across different strengths, backgrounds, personalities, and identities in order to achieve our shared goals and overall mission.
Our second core value is Growth. We strive to create a supportive and challenging environment so that people are continuously growing as professionals and increasing their impact. We also believe in having the time, space, and support to grow in our personal lives as well.
This is not the typical leadership role. We’re not raising money or trying to get acquired. Rather, we are focused on building a sustainable business that achieves long-term impact, and our company’s operations reflect these ideals. As a company, we have sacrificed maximum growth in a deliberate effort to grow responsibly. We expect this role, as a member of the Executive Team, to fully embrace Goalbook’s Guiding Business Principle, which states that we strive to balance growth in three dimensions: revenue and profitability, impact toward our mission, and team experience.
Who We’re Looking For
This is an executive role that oversees the functions of general operations, finance, accounting, legal, HR operations, sales operations, customer support, facilities, IT, and compliance. You’ll collaborate with teams across the company and Goalbook’s Executive Team. At its core, this role functions as the glue of the company, ensuring that every team member across the company is supported.
The ideal candidate will have managed and scaled teams in a small company environment. You can grow a company while instilling and sustaining a culture where impact and responsible growth are core tenets of strategy.
You have a systems mindset and can analyze, design, and enhance operational and financial processes alongside competing constraints and tradeoffs. You are an effective cultural leader, modeling our values, building relationships and trust at an individual level, and engaging and enrolling all employees in changes to core policies and processes that enable Goalbook to continuously improve how we operate.
You are a human-centered and compassionate people manager who provides supportive coaching and accountability to team and company goals. You are an effective listener and clear communicator who cultivates conditions of psychological safety, encouraging openness, vulnerability, and a growth mindset as you manage disagreements or conflicts. You value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and you work vigilantly to ensure company policies and processes are inclusive and fair.
- Develop, implement, and enforce operational and financial processes and policies that affect how the company performs work and achieves results.
- Execute certain critical operational and financial tasks. You also solve problems and figure things out when no one else is able to.
- Be a key contributor to Goalbook’s Executive Team and collaborate with leaders and managers across teams.
- Manage a growing team responsible for a broad array of functions (general operations, finance, accounting, legal, HR operations, sales operations, customer support, facilities, IT, and compliance) and be responsible for each team member’s continuous growth.
- Oversee Goalbook’s finance and accounting, including forecasting, bookkeeping, and tax accounting, and ensure fiscal responsibility across the organization.
- Negotiate strategic vendor or customer contracts on behalf of the company and manage external relationships.
- Lead projects, such as an upcoming PEO transition, and selection of IT and travel management vendors.
- Travel to San Mateo, California, headquarters or other locations 2-3 times each quarter to collaborate with team members in person.
Required Skills & Experience
- Prior experience as an Operations leader or executive
- You have managed growing teams, ideally in a smaller company environment
- Highly organized – you are obsessed with creating order and consistency
- Ability to make process improvements to improve a team’s efficiency and productivity
- Skilled in writing clearly and succinctly
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a doer – this can still be a hands-on role
- 160-250k base salary range, based on location and experience
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Safe Harbor 401k matching
- Flexible time off policy
- Goalbook Family and Medical Leave
- Goalbook Universal Basic Income
- A truly motivated, passionate, and fun team. We’re collectively interested in helping you grow in your career.
Submit application addressed to Daniel Jhin Yoo and provide your cover letter, resume, LinkedIn profile, and how you heard about the role. Applicants will not be considered without a cover letter. This position can be based remotely.
For the safety of our team members, Goalbook requires employees to test for COVID-19 to attend in-person team events.
Goalbook is committed to building a diverse and passionate team that is ready to serve ALL students in the US public school system. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage applications from all people of diversity, including those with diverse needs, backgrounds, abilities, and other distinct characteristics.