Forest Roots Capital
The Company is a single family office to serve one branch of a larger family. It is a purpose driven office, seeking to operate and invest in a way that aligns with the values of the principals.
The Finance Director will be a foundational part of a small, entrepreneurial team working to oversee the administration of a complex investment portfolio. The portfolio includes not only traditional liquid portfolios and alternative LP interests, but also direct real estate holdings located in the US and internationally. The role requires an entrepreneurial spirit, interest in building processes and workflows from scratch, and the ability to work independently.
The Finance Director will lead all efforts related to tax, accounting, finance, and reporting for the office. This individual will become an expert on the portfolio, structure, and operations of the office, and provide thoughtful analysis and feedback to family principals on financial and tax matters.
1. Accounting and Controlling
- Ultimate responsibility for all accounting functions: general ledger; calls, distributions, and capital account statements for external limited partnerships; preparation of all financial statements; accounts receivable/payable; and reconciliations.
- Prepare and regularly distribute investment and cash flow reporting, budgeting, and forecasting for all entities.
- Monitor fees, commitments, and performance of current asset managers, lawyers, accountants, and auditors.
2. Financial Planning and Tax
- Oversight of external tax advisor relationship, ensuring that accurate and complete information is provided for third party preparation of tax returns.
- Preparation of budgets, forecasts, and cash flow models.
- Supervision of financials and tax planning of related entities and holdings.
3. Operations and Reporting
- Prepare and distribute investment portfolio reporting.
- Serve as primary operational contact overseeing needs such as KYC requests, subscription documents, and call/distribution notices.
- Act as primary operational contact for direct holdings and for entities owned in common with other members.
4. Leadership and Management
- Provide leadership for financial planning, reporting, accounting, controlling, insurance, and tax.
- Interact as needed with external advisors on tax, finance, legal, and structural matters.
- Follow developments in tax and tax planning for family offices.
- Proactively benchmark office operations and seek to identify best practices, inefficiencies, and risks related to financial and tax operations.
- Strong attention to detail, and the ability to create error free tax and financial documents within set deadlines.
- Integrity, humility, and discernment, with regard for a high level of confidentiality.
- Undergraduate degree required, CPA required.
- Minimum of 10 years relevant accounting/finance experience required.
- Self-starter, willing and able to identify and take responsibility for solving problems.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to serve as a trusted advisor and an external representative of the principals.
- Prior experience with a family office or family business is preferred.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team, meeting deadlines with minimal supervision.
- This position is expected to be partially remote, but the ability to work approximately 3-4 days per week in the Philadelphia region is required.
Interested candidates should send a resume to Agustina Dier (firstname.lastname@example.org).